Saturday, July 25, 2009

17 month old grinding her teeth....?

WHY in the world does she do this when she sleeps? She has 16 teeth (which everyone says is a lot for her age). She has a dentist appt next month (they wouldn't take her til she was 18mos.). Any suggestions on helping it?

17 month old grinding her teeth....?
My son (4 1/2 years old) has had two different dentists so far, and they both said that it's completely normal for young children to do it. They usually grow out of it as they get older. My son does almost every night and it drives me crazy too. Definitely bring it up with her dentist though. I think your daughter is too young for it, but I know that if the grinding is unusually bad, they can prescribe nightguards for it (that thingy you wear over your teeth at night so you can't grind). My son's dentist pointed out that my son's teeth has the tiniest bit of damage due to the grinding, but again said it was normal and wasn't cause for concern (at least not yet). The important thing is to bring them in for all their check-ups to make sure the damage doesn't become a problem.
Reply:Hell if I know... My oldest is 2, and he just grinds away. Drives me nuts. I used to do it when I was young, but I grew out of it... some say it may be stress....



bsd apache

No comments:

Post a Comment